Are you looking to hire teachers in New York State (NYS)? You’ve come to the right place. Below, we detail the NYS teaching environment, teacher qualifications, teacher desires, and a few methods for filling your next vacancy.
The NYS teaching environment
NYS boasts 212,000+ public school teachers for 4,413 public schools and 11,400 charter school teachers for 354 charter schools.
New York is a competitive state for teachers, who have an excellent career outlook and compensation levels. Since NYS has a higher regional cost of living, teachers tend to be paid higher than the national average ($61,730 for a public school teacher). Teacher pay scale corresponds with grade level, with secondary school teachers making the highest and preschool teachers making the lowest annual mean salary ($81,410 compared to $41,900 per year).
New York is considered the highest-paid state for teachers overall. Teachers in the New York metropolitan area generally earn more than teachers in the rest of NYS, and NYC is the fifth-best paid city to be a teacher in the United States.
Schools are well-funded compared to other states with a base amount of $6,422.00 per student per year. State funding includes funds for special education, English language learners, and at-risk, low-income students.
That said, there are significant issues with segregation in NYS. Research shows that New York schools, particularly New York City public schools, are the most segregated in the nation by race and socioeconomic status. Educational resources vary considerably based on location and school.
In NYC, the two-year teacher attrition rate is 25%, compared to a national average of 10%.
What qualifies a teacher in NYS
Each state has different requirements, but every state requires a teaching license and New York is no different.
To gain a teacher’s license in NYS, an educator must:
- Provide proof of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Complete an approved teacher preparation program
- Receive a passing grade on the required exams, including two NYS Certification Exams: Educating All Students (EAS) and edTPA, as well as any content specialty tests
- Pass a background test, including fingerprinting
- Take required workshops. In NYS, this means the Dignity for All Students Act Workshop
- Apply for certification on the TEACH System website
- (Standard) Complete student teaching
If you hire a teacher from out of state, they may need to apply for a teaching license in NYS. The New York State Education Department (NYSED) outlines its reciprocity agreements for out-of-state teachers here.
What educators want
New York is a fairly progressive state. Teachers in this state want:
- Competitive salary
- Strong health benefits and affordable health insurance
- Mental health benefits
- Retirement benefits (based on years of service)
- Mentoring and a support system to improve teacher retention
- Safe teaching environments with clear coronavirus guidelines
- In some cases, remote or hybrid work options
- Information on additional benefits like commuter benefits; college savings program; employee discounts on tech, media, travel, and education; and scholarships and financial incentives available
Hire your next teacher in New York
Teachers On Demand is the preferred K-12 staffing solution for 200+ schools. We connect our education partners with qualified and enthusiastic teachers, administrators, and other school professionals across the United States.
Here are three great ways to fill your next vacancy.
Check or post on our job boards
Our educator network is 50,000+ strong, and we’re adding new jobs all the time. Sign up to post on our job board for FREE. Registration is simple!
Hire a substitute educator
We get wonderful feedback on our substitute teachers, and we even offer a teacher absence scheduling platform. All of our substitutes are certified and highly qualified with a strong work ethic. We invest in their well-being so they love going to work. Hire a NYS-certified substitute today.
Recruit full-time educators and other professionals
Teacher On Demand’s direct hire/permanent placement program is easy and straightforward for every instructional and non-instructional position. Find out how teacher recruitment works at TOD - and how we make your life much easier!